Thursday, April 23, 2009
Mou ichidou wa ichigo daifuku ni tsukuttanda


I felt that I did a bad job wrapping them last night
- too loose and the anko (red bean) kept moving ard.
So this is my 2nd attempt, this time with the filling staying in shape
I made the mochi with slightly less water, making it firmer.
Result: Great texture and softness while being less overwhelmingly sticky.
Thorough flouring before handling also worked out great
- but had a problem sealing them as they wouldn't stick back tgt...
Also patted down the strawberries b4 wrapping in anko so that
they would stick tgt and also the paste wouldn't dilute and get watery.
Result: prevented misshapened daifuku
and the anko stayed within the skin when cut. Yay!
I tried to make a few pieces bite-sized so it'd be easier to eat
without having to halve them.
Result: proportioned less anko vs strawberry and ended up a bit sour. Boo...
My aunt says to try wrapping the container in a moist towel b4 refrigerating. Hopefully, this will prevent the mochi skins from drying and hardening.
We'll just see if it works tomorrow. ^_^
______________________________________________________
10 May (Sunday)
Made with grapes this time - went a lot faster since I just rolled without having to watch the fruit's orientation (but have to with strawberries if I want to halve them properly)
Taste isn't all that nice with grapes tho. Really can't beat the fragrance of strawberries .
Learnt the last time that wrapping in towel doesn't really keep the mochi soft. Skin still thins and hardens and doesn't recover fully even after thawing to room temp. Heating would just defeat the purpose and dry it out more anyway.
Picked up a trick from youtube that i tested successfully - addding a bit of wheat flour to the glut.rice mix keeps the mochi soft and pillowy even at colder temp or without damp towel. If too cold, allow it to thaw a bit and it recovers completely. Chilled daifukus taste better!
Learnt that reusing cornflour for dusting is bad even if I find it really wasteful. Cuz it has already absorbed moisture and isn't as effective as fresh - it gets thicker (coat vs dust) and loses ability to keep mochi from sticking.
Labels: Food
mon chef d'oeuvre
12:07 am
__Mary Had
0 little lamb(s)__
0 agnelet:
Give lamb to Mary