Thursday, February 12, 2009
New pie!!! Pilot test... ~~ LEMON CHEESECAKE CHOCOLATE PIE ~~
Spent the 5th of feb making: . . . . . To bring on the night of the 6th to:

. . . . .

I spent the morning and afternoon on the 6th preparing this for the 7th:

It was meant to be 1 banana and 1 peach tart but I ran out of almond for the peach filling so I froze the pre-made crust for another day.
The almond fingers were fashioned from the excess pie crust dough
- they made pretty good biscuits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, having replenished my pantry on the 10th , I used my pre-baked crust for my last-ditch attempt at peach tart...

Put in a bit too much filling resulting in some overflow...

...scraped it in midway thru baking and...

Looks great at last!
Taste is alright - I think now, the problem isn't so much that it's undercooked but the peach slices make it soggy... Though I dunno how else I can dry out those peaches since I've already drained them a lot... Apparently it's better overnight as letting it sit dries out the peach and center...
Guess I'll call it successful but not smtg I'm gonna make for a long, long time...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyway, today's the 11th and I've done my pilot test of
Sumi's Lemon Cheesecake Chocolate Pie
which I made up by combining different recipes.
Consisting of:
- One ready-made made pie-crust baked till brown
(With doubly thick sides to hold in the heavier pie filling)
- Half portion of Chocolate pie filling
(with double the chocolate for a stronger taste)
- Half portion of lemon cheesecake filling
(have to cut down on cheese cuz I think it's too cheesy right now...)

I put the extra filling into a corningware dish where you can see the two beautifully distinct layers... I'm hoping that this is what we'll see when I cut out the actual pie...
I'm in raptures over the chocolate layer.... I just love its colour....
Had a little trouble with the cheesecake...
- I was in need of a grater and juicer for the lemon, was all toes with the knife and my aunt had to help me peel and dice lemon zest...
- Was my first time with whipping cream and I made a mess of things. Ended up somehow getting a butter sitting in milk instead of stiff peaks of whipped cream.... My 3rd aunt came to the rescue and managed to whip the milk right back in - a tbspful at a time....
- Have to melt the lemon jelly in saucepan of boiling water next time...
a cup of boiled water just isn't hot enough and cools down too fast. - I don't like the cheesiness from the taste test, so...
I'll use 1 box of Philly and more jelly instead of 1½ next time...
maybe some cornstarch in the jelly mix will help thicken it....
I think the chocolate should be fine as is... I'll know for sure tomorrow. Have to rmbr to make ½ portions of everything next time so I don't end up with another whole dish of leftover pie again.
*Rmbr to save some chocolate from stage 1 to decorate cheesecake
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
12th Feb - update on LCC pie:
I have chocolate that's a bit too sweet but it balances the cheesecake when eaten tgt. Though since Sumi did request dark chocolate, I'll be reducing the sugar and the cheese in LC to make it lighter. The chocolate hasn't thickened enough.... It's more like a paste than firm. Either I need more cornflour or I overcooked/stirred to the point it lost its thickening effect. Lemon was a bit tart - slightly less juice should do it.

Labels: Food
mon chef d'oeuvre
12:13 am
__Mary Had
0 little lamb(s)__
0 agnelet:
Give lamb to Mary