Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Eureka!!! ...........It's the sugar that dun it.........
...or a.k.a. The Continuing Apple Crumble Saga...I have 7 green apples in my fridge.
Green apples are much too sour to eat raw so what do i do?
I make CRUMBLE!!!
... Obsessive much? Haha...
So... I made two batches, 3 in one and 4 in the other...

whadaya know, but I forgot to put in the sugar on the first batch...

sshhh... got to cover up my mistake...
but I've already packed in a layer of pastry... so, how, now, what do I do???
I scraped off some of the pastry and sprinked the sugar on top instead,
followed by cinnamon... Then the final step of sprinkling crumbs over...
Hmm, turns out my mistake was fortuitous... can you see the difference?

The one where I forgot the sugar (the smaller round one) was dry!
(can you see a line of white and a line of brown just under the pastry? that's where i put in the sugar and cinnamon... hehe...)
So
that's why my crumble is always flooded!
It's the bloody sugar that forces out all the apple juices!
Can we say osmosis and solute concentration? Stupid misleading recipe!
Look at the poor apple cubes drowning in their own spit and fluids...
*tsk tsk... shake head*

Now, the moral of the story is, next time I will try putting half the usual amount of sugar, and put the rest of it in the pastry... or i could try the cornflour step instead...
So, ja ne*, until next time, next attempt, next crumble project!
(Once I master this it's on to quiche and cheese-baked rice!)*" ja ne" is a japanese expression meaning "good-bye for now"Labels: Food
mon chef d'oeuvre
3:03 am
__Mary Had
0 little lamb(s)__
0 agnelet:
Give lamb to Mary