Friday, February 15, 2008
My Dessert, My Valentine...
Sweet love of mine,
You're the apple of my eye,
My resistance crumbles before you
The lingering fragrance in your wake
Carries the nostalgia of years gone by
I remember when I first met you
In an unassuming guise
Ambrosia, to me, made its debut
Though our meetings were few
I anticipated, I cherished, I treasured
I made you mine
This day of love
St. Valentine's
Now evermore united
Never again shall we part
No longer unrequited
My Dessert, My Valentine...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Burning with curiosity?
Aroused your imagination?
Intrigued by the mystery?
The
torrid romantic story of my love affair with.....
:
:
:
APPLE CRUMBLE!!!!!
Food of the Gods - Ambrosia!!!
My first experience with apple crumble occurred in JC second year.
(*Sob* I lost my innocence to this insidious, sinful food at such a young age...
And yet it was too late... too late, I say! *sniff*)
It appeared suddenly in the canteen, made by the aunty who sells the bread, pao and other confectionary. Mind you, she didn't make it everyday. Only about every week or fortnight, can't remember which. Everytime it made an appearance there would be a queue and if you weren't fast enough it would be sold out. She sold it in those little square plastic boxes, like those you buy sushi in, that were just big enough to accomodate an egg tart. At $1 each serving, you can be sure these delectable desserts were snapped up in no time. The perfect recipe, just the right balance of firmness and sweetness!
Finally, today, Valentine's day, I have fulfilled my unrequited love for this confection! I have managed to make it! My first ever baking attempt! Sure, things went wrong; It didn't turn out exactly like it was supposed to, but
it is edible, it tastes like Apple Crumble, it looks like Apple Crumble, I say, I made Apple Crumble! ---------------------------------------
First things first, I woke up (relatively) early wanting to
do this thing.
1st obstacle: No equipment - Oven-proof dish, measuring scale, etc.
2nd obstacle: No ingredients
...That just about sums it up eh? No need to say more...I had thought my aunt would be gg to fetch the tuition student and I could tag along to go ingredient shopping. --- I found out that the student would be arriving on his own...
So never mind, I went shopping at 6pm when she sent the student home, instead of early afternoon like I'd planned.
According to the recipe, the "breadcrumbs" for the top was equal parts butter, sugar and self-raising flour. I found out
by trial and error the hard way that it was closer to 1 part butter, 2 parts sugar and 2 parts flour.
(I got a truly disgusting mush on my 1st try; mixed by hand, don't ya noe?)
I got Breadcrumb Consistency on my own!
By trial! No need recipe! Hah! Take that! I kick ass!Used the new oven that has not been used before, ever. The thing had different settings and didn't seem to heat up when I was pre-heating it. Found out that it was because i hadn't switched on one of the three dials on it.
Then the heating elements weren't gg red like they should as in oven toasters... This changed when the settings "heat from top and bottom" was switched to "heat from top only". And then, I
narrowly escaped burning the thing when I left it to go eat dinner. (Quite late by the time I started, can you tell?) Left it to cool and went to bathe.
When I cut it open later to try it, there was, like, apple soup at the bottom of the dish... water from the apples that got "cooked out"... I don't think it's supposed to do that. And the
apples remained white colour when usually you expect to see browned apple filling. The apples were soft though, and tasted
real fine so that's alright.
Maybe it's cuz I did such a great job chopping up 5 green apples so fast they didn't have time to go brown. Hehe. (Maybe it's gonna get oxidised after i've left it till tomorrow.) It came out alright in the end after I drained out the water.
Yay! I made Apple Crumble! Now I get to eat it anytime I want! Cuz I can make it now!
Beloved! Our love is fulfilled! We can be together whenever, forever!(Are you creeped out by my apple-crumble-stalker-ish behaviour? Hehehe... Be afraid. Be very afraid... )
~~~ Is it pathetic that I'm claiming dessert as my Valentine? Sigh... ~~~~~~ 21 years of... ~~~
I'm just a late bloomer! Really! I swear!
There's NOTHING wrong with me!
And don't you dare say otherwise or no Apple-y Goodness for you!Labels: Food, Poetry
mon chef d'oeuvre
2:58 am
__Mary Had
2 little lamb(s)__
2 agnelet:
wah....u can make apple crumble ah..haha..
Can make some for me? hee...
hmm...didn't know u can bake so well.. :P
ehehe... try only lah... it's not very good though... soggy... haha...
Give lamb to Mary